Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Meditations of Hamlet Prieto

"I suppose I could state my support for this blogger [from Cuba] and this new [Cuban tv] defector right now, but unfortunately the doubts would still be there. The unavoidable and inescapable skepticism would stick in my craw. Blister my being with doubt. Put "Am I doing the right thing?" on replay in my mind.

"And I suppose I could use liberal amounts of mental Listerine to wash that bad taste away and open up the old heart and say "Blogger, defector, come on in, make yourselves at home." I suppose I could do my best to ignore the taste of doubt.

"But I dont want to be disingenuous, and youre not really being a friend without there being a mutual trust. And yes, doubt tastes like shit and it makes me feel a little rotten inside, but its better to have a little rotten feeling with a true heart and the bad taste of doubt, than a shattered heart of broken trust."
Val Prieto, Babalú, November 12, 2007


"Stick in my craw?"

"Blister my being?"

"Mental Listerine?"

I think I like "blister my being" best. Although "Mental Listerine" is certainly memorable and it is rare nowadays to see "stick in my craw" outside of Uncle Remus. "Craw," by the way, is the stomach of a lower animal.

I don't normally link to Babalú anymore; but this is a rare treat that must not be missed.

http://www.babalublog.com/archives/006790.html

12 comments:

Fantomas said...

ponte la mano en el corazon dime cuantos puntos sacastes y que mensaje te dio

http://www.postaldecuba.com/test/pruebaTest.html

Anonymous said...

Fantomas, 20

Fantomas said...

me ganastes por 5 charlie

Anonymous said...

mas viejo.... eso es lo que pasa.....

Anonymous said...

17

Fantomas said...

Es verdad una señora que conozco lo tomo tiene como 60 años y saco 20

Estoy esperando el resultado del professor Tellechea

si saca menos de 15 va para el Madhouse

Vana said...

20

Sharpshooter said...

Fantomas,
yo saque 19. Falle una.

Fantomas said...

Agustin Entonces tienes mas de 60 años...o cerca

Sharpshooter said...

Fantomas,
tienes razon, tengo 64. Pero esa era una prueba facil. Intenta hacer el testde cubanidad de 300 preguntas y despues me dices cuanto sacaste.

John said...

Yo saque 17. Pero me parece que Agustin tiene razon en mencionar la facilidad de esta prueba. Por ejemplo, yo naci en el eeuu y mi padre no es Cubano. ¿¿¿Que bolá asere???

(¿20? ¡CB te la comistes!)

John said...

Mental listerine is kind of vague no? It seems as if he meant it as a metaphor to " clear his head," however, in the realm of metaphors the strength and the precision of the words are important. Listerine doesn't mean clear as much as it means clean, and since listerine is a stronger cleaner than lets say scope I would understand mental listerine to mean something along the lines of "brain wash." Perhaps "mental windex" or "mental tarnix" may be better substitutes?