Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ah, Poor Henry Misses Me at Herald Watch


There was a time when Henry and I were allies, back in the heyday of Herald Watch, when we were both combatting Oscar Corral and his abetters at The Miami Herald at the height of the controversy about the Moonlighters story. He obviously misses those days. They were memorable days, and I have always acknowledged Henry's leading role in securing justice for the wronged Cuban journalists and hastening the departure of Jesús Díaz and Tom Fiedler from The Herald. I believe I said it was the greatest public service ever performed by a Cuban-American blogger. [Where did he go wrong?]

Henry remembers those heady days fondly, too, because yesterday he thanked me on Herald Watch for an "Anonymous" comment I did not make. His exact words: "Thank you for your comment anonymous, err I mean Manuel." Yes, you "err," Henry. I don't make anonymous comments. I value my thoughts and my prose style too much to leave them orphans in the world. I have never — not even once — left an anonymous comment on any blog. Is that understood, Cuban Patriot? Or should I repeat it again?

Now, I will admit that a really good writer who sometimes styles himself "Anonymous" and at other times "asombra" has landed at Herald Watch and that his opinions and (more remarkably) his prose style greatly resemble mine. So, at least, I understand why Henry was fooled. But it is not me. However, if it gladdens Henry's heart to think so and helps him relive old memories, he is free to continue cherishing that illusion. The association, even though incorrect, does not embarrass me.

13 comments:

Vana said...

Manuel:
Obviously he misses you, otherwise why would he have assumed it was you?
I don't know why they don't apologize to you, it's so simple at least to me, to apologize when Iam wrong, but only when I'm wrong!

Vana said...

And they were totally wrong!

Manuel A.Tellechea said...

Vana:

They enjoy the pain. It makes them feel important that I have deigned to focus a spotlight on their inanities. As the Bible says: "Let not him that is deceived trust in vanity: for vanity shall be his recompense."

Anonymous said...

Love Games-Tell You How to Avoid Getting Hurt by Them

Anonymous said...

Do you even speak English? Seriously, wall of text crits me for 99999k.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's crazy man. They should really try to do something to fix that.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, kind of drawn out though. Really good subject matter though.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, kind of drawn out though. Really good subject matter though.

Anonymous said...

Excellent data. We have absolutely learned new things this afternoon! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Excellent job! I had been trying to find subjects just as exciting as this one. Getting excited about the next article.

Anonymous said...

Good job. Keep publishing posts!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Nice post. Had been trying to find time. Longing for many more blogs from you in the future.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the data. Well done!