Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Visit from Joe Papp

joep said...

Does RoCAB exist mainly to slam Babalú, or is it a vehicle for commentary, discussion, analysis and the exchange of ideas on the reality that is Cuba today and the US's policy therein? I only ask because having just read through a majority of the current posts on this site (RoCAB), the Babalú-bashing is starting to sound repetitive and gets in the way (for me at least) of the ideas presented here. Granted, if Babalú is your foil and tearing apart what's posted there is your vehicle for presenting your own ideas on the reality of the Cuba situation, more power to you. I would just like you to know that as a first time visitor to your site, the anti-Babalú sentiment appears significant to the point of ... er, obsession.
7/31/2007 11:48 PM


Joe:

First of all, let me commend your honesty, which is something that I have rarely encountered from your fellow denizens at Babalú. They visit here under aliases to disrupt and insult since they can do nothing else: the truth which is expressed here cannot be refuted and is compelling enough to have held your attention for hours on end. I do not think that I need to explain the raison d'etre for this blog to you. Nevertheless, I should have you know that it is a service which I perform for the Cuban-American blogosphere, and, in particular, for the readers of Babalú (and, yes, even its editors). It is my voice, which I am as entitled to have as they are entitled to have theirs. Here no one is booted; no one is censored; and there are no edicts restricting free expression. In short, I practice what I preach. If Babalú had done likewise there would have been no rupture between us. Now that I have answered your questions, I should like you to answer mine:

Why should a blog which is so decidedly anti-Cuban as Babalú (in addition to being anti-Castro), anti-democratic and anti-intellectual, also be unchallenged and beyond criticism?

Why should your obsession be my obsession?

7 comments:

JMP said...

Ok, thanks for the response. I thankfully don't restrict myself to reading or commenting at one blog or another, and I'm happy to have discovered your site on the recommendation of KillCastro. Keep up the good work and great prose style.

Manuel A.Tellechea said...

Joe:

Your prose style is also excellent, as witnessed by your latest comments on Babalú. I hope that fact, among others, will not cause you to be booted some day as I was. Ah, the green monster!

But you are always welcome here. We have no green monster.

Unknown said...

I don't think Joe will be booted from Babalu, Mr. Tellechea. He is not obssessive to the point of derangement as yourself.

Manuel A.Tellechea said...

"Cal:"

I think it pretty much depends on how much Cal — oh, I mean Val — has imbibed that day. That's when the green monster rears its head.

By the way, "not obsessive to the point of derangement" implies that Joe is "obsessive." Obviously, the green monster has already begun to rear its head again, after all.

JMP said...

Hey, I'm an independent actor, and by not affiliating officially with any one blog, and by not trashing the right (but not message) of everyone to have their own opinions (even that guy John..Macuauliff is it? the propagandist for the Cuban gov't), I remain free to participate in all of these forums and share my views and comment on those views already expressed. Right?

Attacking Babalú, KillCastro, or RoCAB is of no interest to me. Neither is beating down one person's point-of-view. The ONLY thing that interests me is one-day being able to live, work, love and prosper in a free Cuba (and getting some devil-like retribution revenge on the bastards who have destroyed Cuba and continue to prevent its rebirth for their own selfish purposes).

Unknown said...

Mr. Tellechea, you made my point for me. I posted a comment using my real first name and immediately you thought it's "Val" from Babalu. If that's not obsessive, I don't know what is.

You have no interest in Cuba, sir. You don't care about her freedom or anything else. Your game is simple: you put forth a contrarian point of view, hoping that it'll make you appear more intelligent than the competetion, grinding down other's opinions that differ with your own. All, apparently, for the purpose of inflating your ego.

Since this discourse is all I can expect to find here, I'll just make this my last comment.

Manuel A.Tellechea said...

"Cal:"

Alright, Val. I'm sure I'll see you here again under another witty alias.